Photobucket

Friday, February 17, 2006

Some Light Reading



One of the things i love best is to curl up in bed with a good book. Here's a list of some books i'm reading (yes i read more than one at a time) and loving. And, since it's Black History Month, i'm reading a few books to celebrate diversity and black culture.

Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb - a fantastic novel set in Ethiopia and London. Divine.

A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali by Gib Courtemanche - a fictional story set in war-torn Rwanda.

Stolen Harvest by Pandana Shiva - a look at the impacts of globalization and corporate agriculture on small farmers and the environment. Chilling and moving.

Contemporary Quilts - the picture above is a wonderful quilt called "Oxfam Quilt" that's from vintage linens. Right up my alley.

Love Letters, Lost - this is a book where the editor found old love letters and compiled them to make a lovely coffee table book. I bought it for J for Vday. And for me, it's so beautiful.

As an aside, thanks for all the support lately. i have such a great bunch of friends! I thought after such a big post, we all need to be reminded of taking care of ourselves. I do this by reading.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

When I looked at the picture quickly, I thought that was your bed and thought WOW, that's quite a bed! You're right, we need to take care of ourselves in whatever ways work for us. Your book choices sounded really provocative -- I'll check them out.

4:18 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

I've flipped through "Love Letters, Lost"... I love the idea of peeking into people's lives :) My friend just bought me "PostSecret" as a late birthday gift - I love seeing the raw humanity of people through personal writings in those types of books.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Sorry it's been so long since my last visit. I am cutting down on my links and found yours again...I'm going to keep it and be better about visiting. Hope all is well!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home