Photobucket

Monday, December 24, 2007

Day 11 - Learning New Crafts

I am a creature of habit, and the crafts i make fall into this category as well. I wanted to broaden my craft skills and adventures this year, so i spent some time looking through my Readymade magazines and book for gift inspirations.

My sister is also very crafty, and while we share some craft mediums, she also does amazing work with cross-stitch and resin jewellry. So, since she's so creative, i wanted to make her something that stepped out of my craft realm.

I decided on a great lace bowl from the Readymade book. I had to use epoxy to make a mould, and it was a fun project that included rubber gloves - something that typically is not in my repertoire. This was a good challenge, and while it required a few steps and improvization, i'm happy with how it turned out. Sis was a bit confused at first what it was for, but after i explained it was a bowl with separate holes, we got on a roll that it could be for fruit, muffins, and of course, cupcakes!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there – Sorry – I don’t mean to alarm you but I am a visual artist and have been using epoxy glue for many years. I just wanted to warn you about the health hazards associated with epoxy glue. It releases harmful chemicals long after the glue has cured. I strongly advise you against allowing food to come into contact with the resin. A better alternative would be to use white school glue (possible brand: Elmer) with some water or even better would to create a slurry using white flour and water (also known as “paste”). I am really disappointed that Ready Made magazine would not put a warning label with this project.

10:48 AM  
Blogger vania said...

Thanks so much for the heads up - i had no idea, being a novice with epoxy. i'll check the book, but i'm pretty sure there's no warning. I'll also let my sis know.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking about that already! I think i won't put any apples in but oranges and other objects that won't directly touch the surface that i would eat.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home