Photobucket

Monday, September 08, 2008

The First Weekend of September

The first weekend of September is always a busy one for me and here's why:
1) Toronto International Film Festival - great to see some movies and some stars
2) Cabbagetown Arts Festival and Yard Sale Extravaganza!
3) Junction Arts Festival - my nabe's annual party
and
4) Toronto's Annual Vegetarian Food Fair.

While the weather could have co-operated a wee bit better (rain yet again), it was a great weekend nonetheless. Besides eating a lot and strolling even more, J and i got to go all over the city on our bikes. I just love weekends like this.

At the Food Fair, we nibbled on some tasty treats and left with another new vegan cookbook in our hands, Get it Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living. One by our very own jae steele, and if the recipes we already tried out are anything to gauge by, this book will not disappoint. Yum yum. Can i say Cashew Gravy anyone? She fills the first section of the book with very informative and useful stuff - like why all the food is actually good for you, and quick reference charts on how to cook beans and grains. I say that this book would be great for anyone, even if you already have all the other 'staples' of vegan cookbooks!

Maybe this picture will help ya out:Last night's dinner consisted of Quinoa Tabboulleh, Cashew Gravy, Buttamilk Biscuits (not shown) - all from her book, with roasted potatoes and veggie steak.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Robyn Wade said...

I have had this cookbook for a few months now and I love it. I haven't made the cashew gravy yet, but I think you inspired me to use up the raw cashews in my cupboard.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum, I love cashews in every way, shape and form. The "steak" looks good too. Is it made with beans?

Sam

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home