Photobucket

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Why i Need Self-Care

I have been busy making presents for the people in my life. The sewing machine hasn't left its spot on my dining room table, there are projects everywhere, and i am not leaving the house today. But besides the deadline that is fast approaching, i am also keeping busy because of events in the world that make me sad.
For one, a wonderful friend of mine works for Christian Peacemakers Team. He is based in Colombia but is friends with one of the latest hostages in Iraq. All four men work for CPT, but Jim is based here in Toronto. My partner knows him and it is hard for us to think about what these men and their families are going through. CPT is an amazing group of dedicated workers who risk their lives in the name of human rights and freedom. Their belief in non-violence is so strong that i can just imagine what the group is going through as well - what decisions to make! My thoughts go out to them.
Also, December 6th is this Tuesday. It marks the anniversary of the Montreal Massacre of 1989, where 14 women were murdered simply because they were women. I'll be at Queen subway station (in the afternoon) selling memorial pins, and check out this site for more details about events in the Toronto area. I'm sure there will be things to do in your city too if you're not in Toronto!
It's hard to think of being festive and celebrating this month with all this hardship in the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

You know, I understand what you mean. I've been thinking a lot more about things like getting food and care to people in need (I'm helping to organize a food drive for local shelters and a volunteer effort at nursing homes through my school) than about songs and jolly-ness, etc. It's overwhelming to see all this rampant consumerism as if nothing else is happening around us.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I did my part this weekend. I dropped off 5 huge bags of gently used clothing and a hefty bag of shoes, to Goodwill. Over the past few months, I've sent cash donations to a handful of charities and relief funds but as a businesswoman I need some of that "consumerism" at this time of year in order to sell my merchandise, thus making it possible for me to donate to charities and such.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home