Photobucket

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Hi, I'm Shuma and i'm a Crafty Cat


I wanted to see what all the fuss of blogging was - vania spends a lot of time on the computer, which is fun for me because i get to sit behind her and scratch the chair she sits on (perfect for sharpening my nails). But, since i too love crafting and benefit from her work, i figured it was time to introduce myself. By the way, that's me in the corner of the blog - sleeping on my favourite green couch.

So, what can a crafty cat do you wonder? Well, first of all i love all the notions and tools that come with crafting. I am beside myself whenever vania has to use the measuring tape. It is one of my favourite toys. In fact, i have to admit she bought me my own but i broke it - my paws just don't cut it with delicate things. I also love when she is cutting out patterns with the scissors. She always tells me to go away, but i love the sound of cutting, and it feels neat sitting nearby on the floor - the vibrations are pretty cool! I think pattern paper is to die for too! Perfect for tearing, so vania always gives me white tissue paper to play with. Oh, and who can forget yarn! She doesn't use that itchy wool stuff, but love helping her de-tangle her balls of yarn - it is my calling after all!

Since i don't get out much, i have a lot of time on my hands. I sleep a lot, but i do need my exercise. As a cat, you would think i like cat toys but i grew up in a forest with my sisters and brother, and have no time for such childish toys. What fascinates me is things that humans use like record players. I love to scratch like Joel - he used to be a DJ and i want to learn how he does it! I also love love love the printer. No matter where i am in the house, as soon as i hear the 'on' button play, i come running. How fascinating that something that's a machine can pump out paper with words on it! When i was a kitten, i also loved playing with lampshades. I overheard vania and Joel talking about buying me a lampshade for a present once, but i still haven't got it. I guess i did grow out of that. Oh, and did i tell you i have a twin brother, Lewis, who lives down the street with vania and Joel's friends. He comes over a lot and i love to have him!

I'm now more interested in helping around the house. For instance, i love keeping them company when they shower - as a cat, it's a rule i don't like to get wet, but i love to be clean. So i wait for them to finish showering and jump in as the water is draining. This is even more productive when vania takes a bath, and the bubbles are fun to play with! Speaking of water, whenever they water the plants, i'm ready to help. We don't have many which makes me sad because plants remind me of my real home, but at least i can catch the drips from the pots and eat the plants that taste the best. Isn't it ironic that they use a water gun to spray me when they think i'm bad. Can i tell you a secret - i purposefully do stuff just so can get sprayed!

There are some toys that i do like that are just for me. Vania made a blanket that is so soft and sits on the couch. I love the texture so as soon as i hop on the couch, i go to it and rub my paws in it. It brings on an instant purr and is such great self-care. Vania also made a fun toy, for that Month of Softies group, that is a pencil. She put cat nip in it -mmmmmmmmmmmmm- and i love it! How sweet of her to think of me. Thank goodness she hasn't made me any outfits. I can handle the occassional bow for special occassions, but that's it!

We have a lot of fun together. We play tag around the house - i secretly love when i get too close and they squeal. I love when we have guests because i play the perfect host - i greet everyone and make sure they're OK with cats before i come over again. I get a nightly rub down (does that sound wrong) from vania when we're going to bed. All i have to do is walk behind her head and she knows that means i want to be scratched. I guess pet pyschologists would say this is my way of saying 'i love you.' Speaking of therapy, i do this thing that no one can explain. Sometimes if i see something and don't know what to do about it, i sit on my hind legs and do the Namaste motion. I put my hands together and pray to get what i want. Or i'm thinking the Goddess for my great life. If anyone knows what this means, please leave a comment. I think i have a picture to show you what i mean. (Actually, i don't know how to add pictures, so vania will have to look for it and add it another time.)

Anyway, i better go. Joel is making muffins and he just dropped an apple on the floor! i love to play with fruit. And this afternoon, while they're out, i have a date with my window - i love people watching!

6 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

great to hear from shuma! i definitely want to see that picture of his "namaste"!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

white cats used to freak me out, but yours look so nice. Shuma sounds like a barrel of laughs.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh gosh, me too on the namaste!!!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Shuma couldn't be any cuter. I loved his entry and can't wait to see the namaste photo!!

5:25 AM  
Blogger krissy said...

that was the cutest blog entry ever! shuma, you are quite a fascinating cat! the namaste pose has me a bit puzzled though....

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nice that his brother comes to visit! cats are such very crafty creatures. I recently spent a week with a cat house guest who was extremely keen to help with all the crafty things I did.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home