Photobucket

Saturday, April 08, 2006

You've Got Mail!


How exciting when i got home yesterday to find mail from a friend - and unexpected mail at that! Even more sweet was that it was from my friend Jen who 'just thought of me' when she saw these adorable things. I just love my blog friends; and it touches my soul that people who i haven't met physically (and oh how i want to) know me well enough to think of me when they see things. Thanks so much, Jen, i love the gifts - i can't wait to put the library card stickers on my books though i can't even decide what books will be lucky enough to get them!



I also treated myself to some great books yesterday - it was payday after all! I went to the the World's Biggest Bookstore and came home with some great finds. It's not exactly The Strand, but it's a great big store (hence the name) and has great deals. Unfortunately, it was bought out by the big box bookstore company, after years of independence.

I have been wanting to learn more about reconstructing tee-shirts and thought a good how-to book would help. With the recent publications of Tease and Generation T, i wanted to compare them. Tease has about 50 amazing, fun, funky, and easy creations, and the book is lovely to look at. Generation T has about 100, but it's mostly in black and white and doesn't have as many 'real' pictures. So, i got suckered into the Tease book, and i love it. Does anyone have the Generation T and want to win me over? I would love to get some reviews on it and how it compares....

I also love a good bargain. I couldn't believe my luck when i found a book i've been wanting for YEARS in the bargain section - Hip Houseplants. It's a beautiful book for plant lovers who have a mere mint-coloured thumb. I love it! It may not be the most instructional book but it does help me love plants more and inspire me to learn more about them. I also couldn't resist picking up Retro Housewives - a book i wanted to buy a friend who was getting married but i don't think she would enjoy it like i do. So for $5, i picked it up - it's a whimsical look at the 40s -60s era housewife, and a good coffee table book that i get to play with, err, critique and research!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may be knocking on your door sometime soon, I have really been wanting to look at that Tease book. Perhaps I could borrow it, or we could do a crafty book swap at some point?

12:15 PM  
Blogger jen said...

it was really nothing, but i'm glad you liked getting a surprise! i know you like orange and blue, so that's why i thought of you when i saw the book stickers. everyone seems to have a few books they lend out a lot, so that seemed like a cute way to help make sure you get your books back. it sounds like you are already getting requests to borrow your new Tease book!

i want to try reconstructing tee shirts too, but i was just going to fool around with it on my own (says the girl who hates following recipes and patterns). maybe seeing some of the things you make will inspire me.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

She's a sweetheart, that Jen!

Oh, and I see you (and the ones who comment) are the ones to ask about t-shirt reconstruction books. I have this blue/green corduroy skirt that I love, and then in Eugene, OR I found the exact colors in a "j crew" collar shirt that is pretty boring/blech. I'd love to do something cool with it (it's in my "things to do something with" box), but I didn't want to buy the SFSE lady's book (which looked kinda neat, too, but I wasn't into the whole trying to own the rights of an old phrase thing). SO...I will be checking back to find the result.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Sounds like a fabulous day - what amazing book finds. Can't wait to see your first reconstructed t-shirt creation that comes from the inspriation of your new books!!

5:33 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh, to add: at the bookstore today and saw generation t (not tease, though), and while some of the projects i really wasn't interested in, some looked pretty cool. i even like the "january" pattern from their website -- could work with my tee (though it's a little too baggy, so i might bring it in, too)

11:23 PM  
Blogger me said...

Have you seen Katie's craft site??
http://ohmystars.net/craft/index.htm

It's got some cool clothing mod tutorials and pix. =)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh my, that's an excellent site -- thanks desiree!

10:17 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Laural - let's definitely trade! Give me a couple of weeks to devour this book and let's make a swap. And, Desiree, thanks so much for the link to ohmystars! i love it!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was actually under-whelmed by Generation-T, which I luckily found at my library and borrowed for free. The patterns were pretty basic, no sew, 5 minute "cut and paste" sort of projects. There were some decent ideas, but somehow the one I decided to attempt left me with a ruined shirt full of holes going into the trash. I guess it would also depend greatly on your style, so I think you should still go check it out, but it simply wasn't my bag.

6:04 AM  
Blogger mishka said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

I was at the WBB this weekend as well and was looking at "99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special". I had no idea there were so many books dedicated to t-shirt surgery. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

8:35 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

wow, i had no idea these t-shirt surgery books existed either! i need to get to the library website asap!

9:11 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

I had to delete my other post because of a typo. I suck.

I was this close (fingers almost squeeeezed together) to buying Tease on chapters.ca last week! I can't wait to see some creations.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I am so so so so so so sorry. But I got sucked into another tag and your it. I'll never, never ever do it again :)

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home