Photobucket

Monday, April 17, 2006

Long Weekend Fun




I had a great long weekend - just what i needed. I did some crafts and overdue projects, went on 'dates' with J, saw friends, and ate too much.

One thing that really was fun was a trip to Value Village. And, what's even better is that i got it all for less than $30!! The linens alone could be that much at an 'antique store.' I have been wanting a vintage musical jewellry box for ages now. I found one there for $3! Mind you, the musical component is a little broken and the dancer has since fallen off, but i think it will make a great project (for J!). Here's also a run-down of my goodies:
yellow pillowcase (for April Tie One On apron)
lace - for upcoming clothes restructuring projects
yellow eyelet fabric
green dining room tablecloth
green kitchen tablecloth
cute girl picture in frame
2 aprons ($1 each!!)
yards and yards of curly blue lace
cute toy bag (for a friend)
8 plates - for my big day
Mexican terracotta vase - for my big day

I also was busy making a summer skirt from some lovely fabric my mom had for years - i think it's from the Philippines. I also wanted to make my latest Tie One On entry - this month we were to make yellow and white aprons. I'm happy with this one especially because it's my own design. I also finally got some more alterations and 'work sewing' done, and i'm almost done my first restructured top - how exciting!

Another great thing is that J and i want on dates. We usually do, but always the same thing - dinner and/or a movie. We did see a movie, but it was a matinee, Spike Lee'sInside Man (i Highly Recommend it), and a road trip to the lovely (but touristy) town of Port Hope. We found a side road that went along Lake Ontario and it was heavenly. We walked around and went to some over-priced antique stores, but i found a great knitting and spinning store, the Black Lamb, the owner even chatted with me about how to make socks (i just don't get all the instructions) and about a great Toronto Knitter's Frolic next weekend. I also found 1 hankie for my collection and we ate a great mid-day meal.

Of course, long weekends can't be finished without family. We babysat our cat's brother all weekend, and they had fun as always. Unfortunately, i had a cold most of the weekend, so two cats running around an apartment means fur flying everywhere, which doesn't help me much. I woke up yesterday morning to them sitting under the bed but ON TOP of the lining that protects the boxspread. They completely tore it off, as if it was a game and i was going to reward them. Gees!

Last night we went to a fun easter dinner at a friend's house. None of us being religious, this was just a good excuse to get together on a Sunday night, and have a potluck. And, i have such wonderful friends, because they all known i'm a vegan and made sure i could have my pickin's of dishes. Someone even made vegan brownies - being the only vegan there, i felt very loved and included. J made scrumptious vegan hot cross buns with green icing (green = spring in our house!). Good times, good times. I'm just glad i had today off so that i can recuperate....

10 Comments:

Blogger TS said...

I was just clicking links on Harmonia's blog and had to comment on the cats on the lining of the box spring. My cats tore one off years ago. I spent an hour looking for one cat. She was just a kitten. It took me that long to figure out that she had torn a hole in the lining and climbed right up. Got a new box spring a few years later and put a sheet over the bottom of it, hoping that would protect it. It took them a day to figure out how to get through. I've given up. ;)

Your crafts look wonderful. I wish I was more committed to mine like that! :)

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

long term reader, first time commenter has two things to say:
1) what the heck have i been doing with my time?!
and 2) why do canadian bloggers always seem to have such fabulous lives. y'all know how to live!

very-occasionally-crafty vegan in NC, US

6:31 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh my gosh, so fun! (i want to say more, but i'm too tired to....) followed the link to tie one on (again!) but this time, I'm going to do it! (yellow and white, the exact colors of the fabric I have set aside for an apron -- yeah!)

9:18 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

What a great weekend!! I love the yellow and white apron and the stories about all your fun.

You have some amazing friends who love you to make all that vegan food for you. I am so jealous!! Sounds yummy.

5:14 AM  
Blogger krissy said...

sounds like a really nice weekend. hope your cold goes quickly though...so sad to feel sick in the spring. by the way, i'm working on the tag...just need some time to think about it. i'll let you know when it's up.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh, i finished the tag!

5:09 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

gah, michelle beat me but i finally got my answers up!

11:34 PM  
Blogger jen said...

oh my god, did you see alias last night! i'm sad it's ending, but i'm excited that it's going out with a bang.

11:00 AM  
Blogger vania said...

thanks for all the answers everyone! and Jen, Alias was fantastic - i'm so sad it's leaving me! And i just KNEW Vaughan would be back, and i guessed that it was him in Bhutan!My friends (we watch the show in a group) didn't believe me!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the dreaminess that is value village on a good day-
:)
i *think* Krissy mentioned you would like to come to dim sum sometime-
that'll be awesome!
i will start thinking of a date soon-

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home