Photobucket

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Projects Abound


You may have noticed yet another change in my blog. Thanks to the wonderful Michelle, you can now see what i'm up to. That, plus i will hold myself accountable to doing these projects, some of which that have been sitting around unloved for months now!

For instance, i love using cloth pads for my overnight needs. And for the past year, i've been relying on a mere 1 pad. So, i'm making a few. In the winter, it's easy to use just one because i can use the radiator to dry them, but in the summer, no such luck. Is this too much info? Anyway, it's wonderful to use cloth pads - for my health, the environment, and the connection to my body that i get. There are some great sites that tell you how to do it yourself here and here. I follow my own pattern, but these are helpful.

I found a great site to order those lovely Japanese craft books but they come from Korea. I think i put an order in (something happened to my computer what i was ordering. I'm crossing my fingers it worked). But, since shipping costs so much, I am determined to find me some lovely books. I read somewhere that there are supposed to be a couple of places to get them in Toronto. I went out to the boonies yesterday (i had the car so i wasn't too frustrated) and they had no books! Grr. It's a great place though, so if i want to take classes in Japanese culture like Ikebana, cooking classes, or language classes, i can.


Since i had the car, i went to a yet undiscovered (by me) Value Village thriftstore. I found some great things! Very excited, especially with the sewing box. I think i need to be more organized so that i'm inspired to do my stuff. I also picked up some musical shakers (drawing a blank on their real name, it's the morning!) that i collect for my music therapy work, some more tea cup saucers, a handmade pitcher and plate pottery set, some ceramic bowls, and a great flat bed sheet for fabric.

Have a great weekend everyone! It's sunny and warm here, a perfect day for a march.

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

You're welcome (and thanks to Robyn too -- it's her code, or code she got from somewhere -- I'm just the put-er-in-er!)

I've got the kokoro no te book, and it's whetted my appetite for more japanese craft books, too. I love that expanding/contracting box! And I'm curious about the maxi pads (I used to go into this small bookstore called east west books in Buffalo and read about women's health in this book that talked about how to make your own. I didn't have money and so I never bought it or wrote down the name of the book -- I think it was a small press book with limited distribution perhaps -- and then one day the bookstore closed so quickly. I haven't thought about making my own too much since then, though it would be nice I bet).

10:34 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Hey there. Hope the march is fabulous. Sorry I can't be there. I love your sewing box. It is an exact double for the one my mom and I had when I was young. She may even still have it. Super organized!
S

11:15 AM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

I love that little sewing box, it's perfect!

I used to make tons of cloth pads to give out at festivals and events with information about women's health and alternatives to conventional menstrual products. Anyway, we would serge or overlock the edges instead of doing an inside seem because it makes the pad less bulky and more comfortable.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're maracas :-)

1:48 PM  
Blogger jen said...

that's a great idea to make maxi pads, i don't know why i never thought of it. i like to use cloth ones for overnight too, but they are sooooooo expensive to purchase.

10:16 AM  
Blogger mishka said...

I have one of those sewing boxes! I was so excited to see your photo. My mom picked it up at a second hand store for my Grammie, but gave it to me when I drooled over it. I feel a wee bit guilty, but I think I appreciate it more than my Grammie would. And, terrific job on the pads - it looks like you are using baby blankets? What a great idea.

Hehe - DVP and Eglinton = the boonies. You silly.

side note: those WIP progress bars are great - I may have to get me one.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home