Photobucket

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Happy International Women's Day!


March 8 marks International Women's Day. I would like to take this time to wish all the women in my life a happy IWD! It may mean different things to you, but it's something that is celebrated internationally, and something i wish more of us found importance in - Maybe because i'm a feminist who believes the world is still not equal, maybe because i love being a woman, or maybe because we need more reasons to be treated with respect and dignity, but maybe too because can't i also hope for flowers?

I am celebrating it by having the day off work (paid holiday for me!) and will be eating good dark chocolate, reading a book, having a good drink, and reflecting on these last few months at my new jobs. I think, too, i will spend some time on that quilt i mentioned on my last post! The day is about celebrating yourselves as women and all the hats we may wear (partner, friend, mother, sister, daughter, advocate, feminist, vegan, whatever)

To know more about the history of this fabulous and much needed day, go to this site. In Toronto, i will be going to a couple of events, a dance as well as the annual rally/march/fair this upcoming Saturday. I love the unitedness of all of us, and how we all come from different places with unique stories, yet for this one day, we are all together.

Women Unite!
Take Back the Night
Women United
Will never be defeated!

9 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

You are one phenomenal woman my friend! Happy International Women's Day to you. There's much work to be done but the world is lucky to have women like you doing it! In solidarity and friendship.
S

7:59 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That's wonderful, Vania. What a lovely and most excellent woman you are! Hope the day is super rad!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Vania-

I just found your blog after finding the wardrobe remixed group last week.

Here in NZ women's day was yesterday (we're a day ahead of Canada) and I had a bunch of my best women friends over for lunch and we had wine and chocolate cake and expressed thanks for those women who went before us, the women in our lives now and all those women in the world who are struggling to live their lives happily and healthily.

It's so rare to find an arty/crafty blogger with a bit of political conscience as well, so I was excited to find you!

Have a great day,
Helen
www.stripysockstudio.com

4:14 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

happy international women's day, vania! i hope you had a super day off! (lucky you!) i so wish more women embraced the word feminist the way you do.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

International Women's Day isn't really discussed much in the US, except on Pacifica Radio (left community radio). In NY, WBAI is doing 48 hours of special programming for Women's Day. I've been listening to some of it (it can be streamed online ) and at noon today is a segment my friend produced on veganism & feminism.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to a series of short films - all made by and about women. It was screened in 18 different cities in 7 different countries. I was going to by flowers for myself, but i didn't want them to wilt at the theatre.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! My daughter and I have been celebrating the holiday and enjoying it very much. Mulching, knitting, writing...its fun and us women are so unique and special.

5:19 PM  
Blogger jen said...

vania, you are a great role model for all women. i'm so grateful to know you! happy (belated) women's day.

3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! Happy IWD! I just found your blog and I love that you rock the craft/vegan/feminism connection!
Thanks!
http://hayleyalaska.typepad.com

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home