Photobucket

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Holidays are Over

Now that Orthodox Christmas has passed, i have to admit that the holidays are over. Even though there's no snow. It just doesn't fee the same, ya know?

I had a good holiday, so snow or no snow, i know i should be happy. I got a great loot of presents, and a lot of them are support to my crafty side, so i'm very appreciative of that. I just need to use them and get to know them better. One new change for my blog (of a few) i plan to do is to start reviewing some of the things that come my way. For instance, a good book (or a not so good one), a tasty dish, a great movie. An amazing concert. You get the idea. I don't know how 'regular' they will be but i think it will inspire me to get.outside.of.my.box. more. And i need that. It will motivate me to challenge myself more, and also write more focused blog entries here.

I already have a few things to review, but before i do that, i wanted to share with you some present highlights. For instance, my sister is crafty in ways that i'm not and she made me the best relaxation pillow. It's full of flax seeds and lavender and i can't wait to have to use it! She even embroidered monkeys on it. Monkeys! And, while i love surprises, i do have a wish list (or two) that people can work off of; this year, i got a lot from it too!

Another great thing are all these books i got:

* Sew U
* The Apron Book - an great surprise!
* The Simple Little Vegan Slow Cooker
* Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
* In Stitches
* Craft Magazine subscription
* A Bed of Red Flowers

I can't wait to find time to really read through them all. I've already tried a recipe from the cupcake book and have made things from the In Stitches book, and so both of these have been wonderful to me!

And, as to the cooking side of my craftiness, i was treated to some new things! Even though i already feel pretty stocked up in the kitchen, i got some amazing new things: 3 Le Creuset casserole dishes, a rice cooker, and a salad spinner. I think my kitchen is officially complete now!

Oh, and i almost forgot some other great surprises - the cards! I don't usually care for cards because i don't find them that environmentally friendly. Unless of course, i can recycle parts of it for hand-made cards. And i've done that before. But this year, i received some lovely cards. This one is from my parents for my birthday (remember i have a white cat):
...and these other two lovelies are handmade. The one on the left was made by my friend who traced my profile from a picture and i just love the other card that my honey got for me. His cards are always fantastic because he writes the best stuff inside. Eye-watering good stuff!
Did i mention the cat card is three-D?

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

i wrote a comment here, but then i clicked "choose a different identity" or something (so i could sign in as michelleknits) and the comment is gone! too bummed to write another! basically: happy crafting, etc.! oh, but i wrote more than that!

10:09 AM  
Blogger mishka said...

it does sound like you had a good holiday! I have never heard of the vegan slow cooker book - I may have to (ahem) hunt it down.

Yes! We shall SnB this year! And make a Live date! I just heard that Organiclicious has closed - I was hoping to try it out.

Michelle - same thing has happened to me recently. Now, I always copy the text first... just in case...

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the idea of discussing books and films, etc. on your blog. It's something that will generate a lot of responses and personal opinions. I can be quite opinionated myself about movies and food :)

I'm reading this great fiction book that has me a bit spooked. It's called "Hush". It's about a physically, sexually and mentally abused boy that undergoes art therapy in order for the therapist to determine why he has become an elective mute.

A gripping story if you can stomach that sort of thing.

I purchased a relaxation pillow for myself over the holidays and loved it so much, that I bought one for my in-laws too.

It's especially nice when it's heated in the microwave. Too bad mine does not have lavender in it or monkeys on it :D

5:38 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Jodi, i HAVE to buy that book you mentioned - did you know i am an art therapist who works with abused women? Who, it sounds perfect for me!Thanks for this info

And Mishka, we have to plan our dates soon!

Michelle - i also do what Mishka does and copy my comments Just In Case.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, Vania I didn't know that you were an 'art therapist.' Wow, maybe we have a psychic connection or somethin' ;)

I borrowed the book from the library and I'm sure there are more copies available. I should advise you though, that it's not for the faint of heart. But I'm sure since it's your line of work, you're acquainted with such cases. I'm quite disturbed by it. As I'm sure most people would be.

The author's name is Mark Nykanen. He's written a few more books about similar topics. You'll find the book under the category of psychological thriller if you choose to purchase it.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I love the gifts you got. Lucky woman!

And I look forward to reading all your blog reviews :)

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home