Photobucket

Friday, December 08, 2006

Crafts and More Crafts

After such a somber post - and thanks again for all the wonderful comments - i wanted to get into the spirit of the holidays, and also chat about crafts. Since it's in my name and all!

One recent project that i finished, and just in time for this cold weather, are my first pair of knitting socks. I followed a Debbie Bliss pattern from her 'Home' book and they actually came out - heels and all. One funny thing, where i had an uh, DUH! moment, was when the instructions said to turn work inside-out to bind off with the needles still on. I had no idea how to do this - how to fit dpn through such a small opening. I did not get it for my first sock, but luckily had some help for the second and realized that i could pull the work through the opening, not pull the needles through the hole! Good thing i don't knit alone!

Otherwise, i'm happy with my work. I was a bit scared about the heel work, but got some help and persevered. The socks are slippery and a bit big (i am a size 5.5 after all), but they're great indoors. And for dancing a la Tom Cruise in Risky Business!

Also, my lovely vegan pal Sabrina came through with a great package of oodles of things. See my post for more details but i just wanted to highlight that she gave me two vintage sewing notions that were made right here in Toronto - and she's from the States! Too funny!

Speaking of Toronto, i'm so excited that one of my favourite craft fairs is on this weekend: The DUDE Show. Just in time for the holidays. I'll be going there tonight and i can't wait!

Lastly, i bought the first issue of Craft magazine while in Boston. Since they don't sell them here in Canada (yet????!!!!) i hunted one done. And was happily surprised. Not that i will be making a top with lights on it or have a garden to make a display for, but i did love the jungle gym for cats and the great knitted boots.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

Yay! I have yet to get past the heel on any of the many socks I've started, so good for you!

CRAFT mag, good score. Magazines are so much fun.

9:01 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

i've wanted to get my hands on CRAFT magazine too. sad to hear they aren't selling in canada yet. boo!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Michelle makes . . . said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh! i was across from make/craft magazine at crafty wonderland! they were selling them for 10 dollars instead of 15 . . . but I still didn't buy one!!! ay, I just need to allow myself some treats now and again!

BUT, i took a good gander, and it was certainly neat-o.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Cheryl Knits said...

Sorry to just jump in, but you can subscribe to Craft even in Canada:

https://readerservices.craftzine.com/CF/subnew.aspx?PC=CF&PK=M6HDLN1&FC=CANADA

It's a lot cheaper to do a subscription rather than buying each separately.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home