Photobucket

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Birthday Tea Party

As a December baby, i always compete with the festivities, so it's important to me that i do my birthday justice, and let's be honest, so that others do me right! For my birthday this year, i wanted to do something different. Since there are no roller skating rinks in the city (egads, can you believe that!?), that option was out. And since typical fancy hotel afternoon teas are not vegan-friendly, J and i decided to host our own tea party at home. We requested guests to dress 'nice' and we served yummy treats that we associate with fancy tea parties. Complete with dainty pinky fingers!

We converted our dining room into a tearoom. We split apart the table, and used all our good linens and antique dessert plates. I even brought out my favourite cloth napkins!
On the menu was:

* Scones with whipped cream and raspberry jam - i had the vegan creme and J made 'real' stuff for the others (recipe for The Garden of Vegan)
* Triangle cucumber sandwiches with creme cheeze and dill
* Happy Birthday Rose Bundt Cake - i suggest added cocao
* Devilish Eggs
* Rosemary bread with dips
* Left-over celebration cake (vegan!)
* Chocolates
* Soy nog
* and of course: teas - cream earl grey, jasmine, vanilla hazelnut

I got some wonderful gifts this year, as well. For example, my wonderful partner knew i was on a mission to find a briefcase for work (it's a policy at work to have one to keep client's files safe) but i didn't want a briefcase that looks like one, nor one that's leather. He found one and more! I also got the vegan cupcake book i've been eying and dreaming about - a book full of 75 recipes and lovely pictures. And, another great score is a vintage apron in got from a friend who's birthday is also December 17. Oh, and i can't forget the vagina pen i got...
J also surprised me to tickets to The Nutcracker, in the new Ballet and Opera house in Toronto: The Four Seasons Centre. It's a beautifully designed space - very modern yet built for such classic arts. We had a great time, dressed up, and enjoyed all the kiddies there. Thanks honey!

One other thing i did for my birthday was treat myself to a trip to the spa - a vegan and organic spa in Toronto called Aliviar. The only one of its kind here and it was well worth it. The woman who took care of me made me feel at ease and really treated me like a queen. I got a vegan salt body scrub - my first time ever doing something so intimate like this - and she completed my treatment with a luxurious massage. And, ironically, that night a good friend gave me a gift certificate to this same spa for a pedi + mani combo! I will definitely be going back!

I also wanted to take this time to wish everyone a happy holiday season. I'll be away from blog world until after Christmas, when i'll be back here to post all the great gifts i made everyone! I finished my part of the gift-making the other night and it's such a relief to not be scrambling away on Christmas Eve!

7 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

happy birthday! merry christmas! i love that briefcase.

good for you for getting everything done early. i have a feeling i'm going to be hunched over my sewing machine until the very last minute.

10:50 AM  
Blogger krissy said...

happy belated birthday! your tea party looks like fun!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

happy birthday again! such a wonderful party you had!

and i LOVE how you wanted to go rollerskating for your birthday. i LOVE rollerskating!!!

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is so adorable. I love the tea party you organized; I'm ing something similar for New Year's Day for some close friends. Also, I'm writing a (vegan desserts) cookbook right now, and it includes recipes for tea parties! Anyway, just wanted to commend you on your blog. :) Take care.

Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
Compassionate Cooks
http://www.compassionatecooks.com

11:32 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I am so glad you had a wonderful birthday. I am still so sad I missed the tea ... who would think I would need more than 2 babysitters! Ug.

I love the breifcase and am now dying to try out that spa!

Merry merry Christmas to you my friend :(

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely tea party! And your dining room is beautiful too. Happy Birthday!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Looks like a lovely afternoon!

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home