Photobucket

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Parents Day

I'm off to see my parents today, to celebrate Father's Day and a belated Mother's Day with them. I'm looking forward to a day away from Toronto - I know my mom and i will end up chatting about knitting patterns and looking through her stash of fabrics. They will feed me, and we'll get to chat about life in Toronto, and most likely sit around in the air-conditioned house watching TV.I wanted to make my mom something that i'd know she'd like. So, since she bought me Amy Butler's In Stitches book and said specifically she wanted to borrow the book from me sometime so that she could make the Patchwork Handbag, i thought i'd make it for her.

It was a bit challenging, mainly because it is a long process. I use a lovely vintage barkcloth fabric as the main and i'm quite happy with it overall. I'm sure she will be too!
I also wanted to make something for my dad, he never seems to get handmade things from us anymore. What can you make for a dad anyway? Since he's having some back problems, and is a carpenter by trade, and a great support to my mom's crafty neeeds (of wood cut-outs and birdhouses, etc), i thought i'd make him a sturdy pillow. I filled it with stuffing and dried lentil beans, to add a b it more texture. I might be crazy but it feels nice and my dad will appreciate my attempt at a hammer! I added a nice little detail on the backside, too. See it here.

My parents have always been such a great supprt for me and i just wanted to thank them for that. Have a wonderful day, and i everyone else who's a mom or dad also does.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

You're so thoughtful! Parents are great.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

What a lovely post. It's so nice to be able to share your talents in gifts, especially when you know they are truly appreciated.
Did the hammer get a giggle?

3:53 PM  
Blogger Cass said...

I adore that pillow! cute cute cute

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home