Photobucket

Friday, November 09, 2007

My Liver is De-toxing!

I am about half-way through a 12-day detox for my liver. I had wanted to start it sooner, so that i can officially do it in the Fall as detoxes are recommended, but i know i'm pushing it a bit. It's my first serious detox like this - complete with a kit with several nasty-tasting and bowel-shaking pills. But, i can already feel a diference. My energy has never felt so good and the initial days of being nauseous and irritable have passed. I love that i'm not eating any 'white stuff' like bread, cereal, vegan cheese, white rice, and pasta - and that i can live without it. Thank goodness i celebrated Halloween and sugar before i committed to this diet!

One thing that is helping me through this, besides J doing it with me, is that we still get to eat lots of food. Like fresh fruit and veggies that are local and organic (not allowed to have tropical fruits or juices), as well as using grains like millet, kasha, amaranth, quinoa, etc that i don't typically use. Now that i have to use them, i am finding great recipes that are both extremely healthy as well as flavourful.

Like, for instance, some great recipes from the book Super Natural Cooking - millet-fried rice, sushi rice bowls, wheat berry salad, and some great soups. The book is organized to highlight 5 key ways to eat a more healthy and colourful diet. I especially like the reminder to use 'alternative' grains like teff and quinoa, so this book came in my hands at the perfect time. There are also some great photos throughout the book to enjoy as your browse through. I think this book as inspired in me to try at least 2 creative dishes each week. And, i'll commit to this by weekly looking through my various books and choosing from them each Sunday afternoon. This way, i know i can put my words into action.Another great source for good meals while i'm on this diet is the blog Domestic Affair. She typically shares some great recipes, and since i went to a Detox Seminar at a Hillside festival that was hosted by Jae (years ago), i trust that she's got some great recipes up her sleeve for my needs! Tonight, for example, i'm writing this post as my Millet-Stuffed Peppers are baking in the oven. Can't wait for dinner - the filling before we stuffed it was fantastic on its own!

I'm sure my liver will thank me. It better.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Yvette said...

Love millet! Love quinoa! I'm wheat gluten free so I discovered these grains a while back.
Tip: Fry the millet in a dry pan for a few seconds before using. The pan should be hot and constantly shaken. When you smell the popcorn-y aroma, pour the grains out and use as indicated in the recipe. They taste so much better this way!

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't kniw about a liver de-tox! That's sounds like something to investigate! I could use mre energy these days, now that the winter is coming fast!

6:03 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

Is this detox from a naturopath or is it from a book/website/reliable public source? I've always been interested in detoxes and the exclamations of renewed energy is especially intriguing. Your detox diet sounds very open and easier to follow than others I've heard of.

I'd been trying to incorporate those "alternative" grains but stopped when I failed at both kasha and millet. The problem was probably that I didn't use a recipe for either and just assumed how to cook it :) I still have both kicking around, so maybe I should give them another try. Quinoa, however, is my favourite and I promote to anyone who will listen!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year i went on an elimination diet suggested to me by a Naturopath. It was hard at first to adjust to a new dietary regime of no wheat, no red meat, no dairy, no tomatoes, no seafood, no eggs, no citrus, no soy, no peanuts, no caffeine.
After 6 months of this elimination diet and slowly re-introducing these foods back into my diet, I embraced a whole new way to eating healtier. I now love Quinoa, Kasha, Amaranth and Millet. At first I failed miserably at preparing these ancient grains. I have made both meals and desserts with these grains and am so glad to have found them. The elimination diet showed me exactly what foods I was sensitive to and what I can eat only in moderation.
I no longer eat meat and certain types of dairy. Gluten foods are also problematic but only in excess. I'm also feeling much better and have more energy throughout the day.

Here are a few links that have some interesting recipes for cooking with millet, amaranth, quinoa, etc...

Good luck!!

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/wheatfree/index.html

10:14 AM  
Blogger Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Hey Vania,
My name is Wheeler & I am the owner Wheeler's Black Label Vegan Ice Cream - we really like your blog and put up a link to it on our own blog (www.wheelersveganicecream.blogspot.com). Would you mind doing the same for us? We're a small company in Boston and we'd love to make a few more connections with people interested in Vegan diets. If you want, we'd be happy to send you some free, vegan ice cream in return! Thanks!

6:33 PM  
Blogger affectioknit2 said...

Hi Vania,

I'm tagging you for a meme. Thanks for playing.

Teresa

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

I haven't done a detox, but I definitely want to soon. I've been feeling very "bleh" lately and I think a detox is just the way to go. I have to get the book that you used before I start though, because I'm sure nothing that I have will work! I'm excited to get to feeling good again!

-Sylvia
Stock Pots

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home