Photobucket

Sunday, September 28, 2008

When Bad Things Happen to Good Cake

Don't you just hate it when your bundt cake pan doesn't cooperate and you just have a couple of hours before needing to leave for a party with a dessert? Especially when that said pan has been working fine for years, without even the slightest boo-boo?

Well, a few weeks ago, when going to a friend's birthday party i ran into more than a little boo-boo making a Vanilla Spice Swirl Cake from Get it Ripe. Not sure what happened inside while baking, and it could have been because i 'swirled' the batter too much, but my poor cake did not fall out of the pan happily.So, instead of just throwing it out and trying to make something else from scratch, i figured 'well, the cake tastes good and is cooked, so why toss it?' So, i recalled a recipe for a triffle i did, from My Sweet Vegan, and my quick thinking turned into this - a pudding cake! Almost as good as what i first planned it to be. With a few chocolate shavings and sprinkles of cinnamon on top, i even fooled myself.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicola said...

You know what I've found? That I can make the same thing over and over again for my family and it turns out great every time BUT when I decide to make it for a potluck or something THAT's when it's likely to go wrong! Murphy's Law?

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a bundt cake once for my knitting group - and it was not coming out of it's mold the way i intended! BUT, everything had to be cut up for easy eating so i was able to salvage the good bits! Clean, floured pans seem to help!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh no vania! i was just scrolling down your blog and stopped at this photograph, recognizing those precise shades of cake swirled together. i have had that cake turn out the same way before - either it was because i didn't oil and flour the pan uber-carefully OR i tried to knock it out of the pan too soon or unevenly. the worst for me was always when that'd happen at the vegan restaurant where i invented the cake recipe.
one time i took such a broken-but-not-too-broken cake to a bell orchestre concert and in exchange for putting me on the guest list, it was devoured in the dressing room - we didn't even use plates or forks, so no one much minded the broken bits!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home