Photobucket

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Vegans Can Do Soul Food

I was recently given the book, Vegan Soul Food: Fresh, Healthy and Creative African-American Cuisine by Bryant as a lovely surprise gift. I hadn't even seen it around, so it wasn't on my radar. I guess having a newborn does that to us, right? Anyway, after having some tasty grub (which i also lovingly call my breast milk, but that's another story) at the Red Bamboo restaurant in NYC, i was hopeful that i could make my own 'Po Boys' and Johnny Cakes. And i was right!

J and i tested out the book with 2 simple recipes - Fried Green Tomatoes and Johnny Cakes. The tomatoes we used were from our own backyard. I've never had them before so i can't compare to anything. But, they actually were juicy and i loved the Multipurpose Coating for Dredging Food recipe that came with it.The cakes were nice and plump, and better served with a tasty gravy or chutney of some kind. I can't wait to try more recipes like Blackened Tofu Slabs wit Succotash Salsa, Sweet Cornmeal-Coconut Butter Drop Biscuits, and Spicy Mafe Tempeh. Any of them would go down nicely with a glass of Cinnamon Applejack Toddy.

A lovely touch to the cookbook are Terry's addition of suggested music for each recipe - a great idea because who doesn't dance around in the kitchen while cooking?! I sure do - it keeps Li'l C happy while i'm busy cooking.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

This post is making me hungry! If i'm around Brooklyn, I'll try to check that place out.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home