Photobucket

Saturday, December 05, 2009

Getting Ready for Solids


Li'l C will be 6 months any day now, and while i'm not in a hurry to have him grow up on me, i look forward to him eating solids. He's going to be breastfed for a while but i love the idea of making him foods and meals each day, and involving him in all that we do. I know it'll be a lot of work, but with great books like this one i'm sure we'll do fine! I also have one that's called Raising Vegetarian Children so we have all things covered on that front, but finding vegetarian baby/toddler books is hard.

My mom is going to Mexico soon, so i've made a request for oilcloth to put under our table, and C's chair as i've heard it will be messy! I also hope to get a fun enamelware tea set and/or dishes for him to use and play with. I used to have my own cabinet that i played in while my mom cooked when i was a wee one. We'll have to start baby proofing soon too - but i'll make sure to have a special place for C to play in and 'cook' with mommy and daddy.

The squash is from our garden and it'll be his first food. My mom has also put aside her squash and i've made apple sauce with local, organic apples recently. We're starting with veggies and then moving towards grains like quinoa, millet, and oats, along with fruit. It's overwhelming to think about all the stuff that goes into baby food but it's good nightly reading for now.

What sort of first foods did you give your wee ones, and if have any other advice of books and/or simple gadgets for making and serving food, i'd love to hear from you!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Eva said...

Hi Vania,
I'm curious about the people around you and what they say about you raising your child as a vegetarian /vegan?
I'm vegetarian but there is no way that my family and husband would ever accept the idea of me raising my future child as a vegetarian. I'd hear things like, "You can eat what you want but you are not going to enforce your eating principles onto a child, who is growing and is in need of certain nutrients, that only animal proteins can offer."
Anyway, it's very brave & gutsy of you to challenge the status quo and raise your child on a no-meat diet,
I'm only wondering what will happen once he is in school and is surrounded by meat eating students and teachers that are not the least bit open (tolerant) to a vegetarian-vegan lifestyle. It's a sad reality but children can be mean to other children and adults can be ignorant and close-minded.

Just wondering what your approach is ?

Eva

7:48 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

avocado was one of our first solids. So creamy when mixed in the food processor, no cooking necessary and VERY healthy

5:17 PM  
Blogger The Bothered Owl said...

Both of mine started out with baby rice at between 4 and 6 months. Nice and bland, getting them used to the idea of something other than breast milk.
Then they both tried squash, carrots and also avocado. They really loved avocado, although it's incredibly messy.
Once they were ready for finger foods, stuff like pasta and also pieces of tofu, cooked or raw. Both my littlies LOVE tofu!
Green beans make great finger foods too.
You're going to have so much fun watching all the stuff Clem does when he first tries food. And once he starts feeding himself, oh boy!

7:56 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Eva, i can understand your concern for sure! Both my partner are non-meat eaters, he being a vegetarian so it's easier for me with him than it sounds like for you. Honestly, it's a non-issue for us to raise our children like us, because isn't that what most people do - meat eating, wearing the same clothes, introducing the same hobbies, etc. - in response to comments you've heard about forcing your principles on someone else. I know i'm being cavalier about it but no one really has commented on my choice. My mom a bit, but she knows i eat well and will provide the same goodness for my wee one. Maybe get some good books for your family to read. Eating animals is NOT the only way to get nutrients, and others need to be educated about this. My midwife said i was healthier than most meat-eaters!
I know people can be close-minded but our son isn't the only wee one who's veg and i'm sure we're work together on addressing hostility as he grows. The book Raising Vegetarian Children addresses some of your concerns re: school, etc. I hope this gives you some further food for thought, but as you know my wee one is just 5 months so i have a lot to look forward to! Maybe find some other veg parents who blog? Like Vegan Lunch Box maybe?

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Eva said...

Thank you Vania. I appreciate your feedback :) I will do some research like you suggested.

Eva

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Kasia said...

Hi Vania, have fun with this new stage. How exciting. A couple of books I used were "Super Baby Food" although I didnt agree 100% with everything but enjoyed making my own baby cereal (with lentils sometimes and K loved it) and "Becoming Vegan" which helped me focus on all the nutrients our kids needed and how to make sure they received them. I was also intrigued by Baby Led Weaning and would give E very softy cooked veg such as broccoli to chew on from 6 months old. He loved it - would grasp it and suck on it. Anyway, would have loved to chat in person. Sorry we didnt get together while I was in Canada.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home