Photobucket

Friday, October 07, 2005

Thanksgiving Extravaganza!



Meet Shuma, and forget about seeing the dingy bathtub.

I'm off to cottage country for a couple of days of respite from the city. Can't wait to enjoy the drive up and see all the fall colours. I'm taking a quilt i'm working on, some yarn to make a cable belt with (from Stitch n Bitch Nation), and my Tie One On apron for October, plus the current book i'm reading, Aman. We stayed home this Friday night to make some tasty treats for our big Thanksgiving dinners (notice the plural). We made a Tofurkey with potatoes as well as a few dozen pumpkin cookies. The tofurkey is pretty easy and the best part is the stuffing. I bought a vegan packet of gravy to do as well (convenience beats out authenticity at the cottage). The cookies are a Martha Stewart recipe that i altered to be vegan - all the rage at a party this year - soft, moist, sweet, like mini pumpkin pies! Since it's Thanksgiving (even though i have misgivings about celebrating it), one thing i am thankful is the unconditional love i have from the two boys in my life, my partner and my cat Shuma. He even likes to keep me company when i take a bath or shower (but he's too shy to see me sans clothes!) That's why i wanted you to meet him, officially.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vania, I have always wondered what the Tofurkey tastes like can you enlighten me?

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry this has nothing to do with your site. but i have never met any one with the same name as me, this is so cool. i live in spokane wa. And my name is Vania. i prononce it Va nay a. how do you? please write me back my email is chunkymunky411@yahoo.com
thank you!

3:13 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oooh ooh I loooove tofurkey, but I really love Un turkey! I hope you have a great time at the cottage. If you have a nice food and wine pairing, do share it, cause I've tagged you for the Basic Juice meme!

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pumpkin Cookie recipe, please???

My husband and I are diehard vegan pumpkin fans and I'd love to make these for Thanksgiving when we visit our vegan couple friends in LA.

2:33 PM  
Blogger vania said...

the tofurkey was a success, not too chewy and it is making the best sandwiches now with my veganaise! i will post the cookie recipe soon, i promise

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm tofurkey! so much better than the alternative.

the cookies sounds so yummy, i bought some pumpkin to cook with this week Mmmm...

1:35 PM  
Blogger jen said...

i'm very conflicted about thanksgiving too, but it sounds like yours was lovely (and yummy).

your kitty is very handsome.

10:34 AM  
Blogger krissy said...

you have a good eye for tofurkey... that is what was pictured on my blog! but we may have had different packages because mine came with vegan gravy (that needed A LOT of watering down) and some delicious dumplings that were filled with cranberries & something else (i forget what though). our 1st try a couple of years ago was a bit of a tofurkey disaster but now we're pros and it always comes out so YUMMY!

hope you had a nice long weekend!

2:48 PM  
Blogger vania said...

argh!! how does this tagging business work? i don't know what to do with this wine/food meme! michelleknits help!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Shuma is so cute these day (not cutier than Haddie of course!) - of topic, check out http://www1.whdh.com/features/articles/healthcast/BOS6611/

NIA in the News!!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home