Photobucket

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Happy Winter Solstice


Today marks December 21, the Winter Solstice. We celebrate it as well as the 2 Christmases (Orthodox Christmas is January 7th). No, that doesn't mean more presents, but rather more time with loved ones and celebrating Mother Earth. I started a week's holiday from work today and am busy finishing presents. Of course, with my luck, my sewing machine is sick and she needs to rest for a bit. I still have 2 stuffed toys and an aprong to make, so this is NOT a good time to get sick, but i must give her space. We will be heading to Kensington Market (a cool vintage store area in Toronto that also is active in social justice work, environmental activism (i.e. no car days in Kensington), and also hosts an annual Festival of Lights on Solstice. We're to bring our own lanterns and anyone can participate in the parade. There are residents performing folk tales along the way, and lots of people are dressed in costume as mythical pagan heros. The finale is watching a huge papier mache phoenix catch on fire and celebrate the welcoming of winter. Amazing!
Happy Holidays everyone, i'll be away for a couple of days, but when i'm back i can finally share all the presents i've been making!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too bad my flight comes AFTER the festival :( And soon i'll see all the goodies you've been creating - and you can see mine :Þ

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, what's wrong with the machine? Let me know and I can try to do some long distance first aid! Glad to hear you are enjoying the start of your many holiday celebrations!

1:31 PM  
Blogger vania said...

The machine is fixed! yikes, how dramatic - 2 days before Christmas and still 4 presents to make. i broke a needle, the bottom bobbin holder fell OFF, the stitches didn't look right, and it was making noises. i took a break (my goodness my back hurts) and tried to finetune it and it's all better now. I'm done everything! thanks for the offer of First Aid, Laural. Happy holidays to you too!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy happy to you, Vania! Glad to hear that your machine is back to normal! I've lent out my machine since almost 2 weeks and I miss it!

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home