Photobucket

Monday, January 09, 2006

I Quit My Day Job

After being there for 2 years, i made the decision to leave. I wasn't happy at this job, but i met wonderful women there. It was hard to leave, let me tell you. I am starting a new job tomorrow, one that is very exciting but only part-time. It's a great job counselling women, and something i've been wanting to do. I do hope that i can find other work soon, though, so that i can meet my financial needs and my sanity.

Until i do, i'll need to be busy at home so that i don't become a couch potato. One of the first things we did for 2006 was cancel our cable - something that was a hard decision to make, but i'm hoping i'll be more productive without it. I hope to become more crafty and better at sewing and creating. I also hope to read more again, and possibly exercise. Unfortunately, all of these need money so i'll have to balance my chequebook each month!

One thing i want to be working on more is using old clothes and reconstructing them - i love this! One of my first projects was a scarf i made my honey from sweaters i felted and an old concert tee. Not bad, but i've got a long way to go. Good thing this month's Tie One On apron is recreating an apron from some old clothing item. I'm working on a dress that i bought in India. I love the fabric but hated the dress.

And since my honey has been so supportive about my job crisis, i'm making him play model here....

10 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

1) Very nice to see your boy finally in these here pages
2) I quit my job, too! I just haven't been ready to talk about it (or anything else, really) on my blog yet. I, however, do not really know what I'll be doing next. But I gave my notice at least and it's effective at the very end of January.
3) I'm all into making aprons lately. Tie one on seems really excellent!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

Good luck with the new job, it's always better to be doing something you love for no money (or hours) than to suffer in a position you hate.

Thanks for introducing me to tie one on, I am definately going to make an apron this month.

7:44 PM  
Blogger jen said...

nice scarf! (and nice-looking model)

congrats on your new job! i think that's great that you took a leap in order to do what will make you happy.

by the way, you can read and exercise without costing any money! there's the library for books and you can exercise at home for free or nearly free. i could probably send you some vhs exercise tapes if you want (i have to see what i still have stuck in the drawer). email me if you want tips on exercising at home or if you want me to check for exercise tapes.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, quit my 9-5 job in July and I am now self-employed! My decision to quit ultimately became a blessing in disguise as it enabled me to use my creative juices to start my own design business...which, so far is going pretty great. My hat goes off to you, Vania! Good luck!

3:27 PM  
Blogger giverdonkey said...

Why does your blog look all weird. Is it just my screen or something wrong with your template?

1:54 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Julian - i've recently noticed on some browsers (i.e. firefox) that my blog is all funny but it's not on others - i wanted to assume it was just my computer. it must be a template issue. any suggestions?

5:10 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

wow vania, good for you! that is a huge step but i agree with what "vegan knitter" said... there's no point in being miserable just for more money. i'm glad you found a job you're excited about for now and hopefully more will come along soon! as for your crafty scarf-- it looks AMAZING! i've wanted to try something similar but need to learn how to use my sewing machine first.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey did you felt that green sweater i got in Wales?? I want to make a small wallet or something. Also, check out the libary for work out tapes! At least you can enjoy the retro hair (usually they have new stuff too!)
K

1:47 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

way to go on the new job and cancelling cable. getting rid of television was one of the best things i've done for my health. i wasn't a big tv watcher at all but i hate feeling like a slug after watching an hour of tv. you'll find you have more time and better time. :-)

i don't know what kind of exercise you like but jeff galloway has a GREAT run/walk program to train new runners from zero. it is so painless. and it's super cheap. you just need some good shoes and bra. :-) Anyway, you can google his run/walk program to get the specs. He has a couple books out but the program's online in a lot of places like Runner's World.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on leaving a job that wasn't satisfying you anymore. I hope your new job works out for you!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home