Photobucket

Monday, January 22, 2007

House-Warming Gifts

My friend recently bought her first house and moved into it this past month. On Friday, we went to visit her and i was always taught that it's a good thing to bring a house-warming gift. In Kazakhstan, i was taught to bring chocolates the first time you went to someone's house. I still apply this rule today. Who doesn't want chocolate?I also wanted to make her something. As a great host, i know my friend always have drinks ready for her guests. She even frosts beer glasses ! So, i made her 8 coasters, from a few different fabrics, so that they all could match with her place. The pattern was loosely based on Denyse Schmidt's book, and i've made coasters before. It's also a great way to 'use what you have.'

Now J wants some for us, so that'll be my next project for the Sew? I knit! group: it's all about projects for the kitchen and/or cooking.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a generous person you are Vania!

I'm sure that your friend was very appreciative of your creative house-warming gift.

I always find it challenging to figure out what to get my friends because some of them don't appreciate handmade gifts. Or, even store-bought gifts that don't comply with their house decor or colour-scheme. I don't ever see my gift in their house on my next visit.

It's sad and frustrating.

Especially when I go to all the effort to find a unique gift, like a colourful glass windchime made from handmade glass imported from India, and I never see it displayed.

I always considered myself to have good taste. But I guess "taste" is in the eye of the beholder :)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Nice coasters!

Yes it's hard, Jodi, to come up with a present. People already have lots of "stuff."

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those coasters are so nice! I was passed down a sewing machine from my grandmother, I am so going to have to get it out and learn to use it.

Very cool of you to make such a great gift for your friend. :D

6:04 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

those are rad. i always eye those whenever i look through that book!

you really are such a sweet houseguest! you are welcome at my house any time!!!

(and that's too bad, jodi. it's really hard to come up with the right thing, and then, to know whether it's well received. i hope that doesn't prevent you from still having fun picking out and making stuff!)

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home