Photobucket

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Kudos to Me

One thing i love about the blog community is how i've met and made friends with some wonderful people. Besides the other blogs i read daily, or at least regularly (see sidebar for my regular reading list), i love getting comments. I feel like my posts create a neat dialogue that continues on after. And that's really how i've gotten to know people better.

I usually leave comments on the blogs i read, but not always. So, i now appreciate the 'de-lurker' game that's going around in blogland. At first, i hated the name - made me think of stalking and i don't equate reading blogs and not commenting as threatening or invasive, something too close to my work home - but now i get it. At least in the crafty blogworld sense, not the link to terrorism. I just see it as a great way for us to get to know each other better. I've been able to find new blogs (new to me, anyway). Vegan sites, craft sites, you know it. And what a big compliment to me when i see that my site is listed on their page. How wonderfully nice! I love getting feedback and hellos, and, now i have even more to read and enjoy myself!

I can't stress this enough: I love getting comments too! I look forward to that as much as i do reading other people's blogs. I also love how i have so many things i want to write about and i just don't have enough time.

But, one even more exciting thing is a recent discovery i had yesterday. I'm referenced in a book! My blog is listed as a blog resource in a book! Mine! Too cool, and very surprising, because i had no idea. I guess that's the best sort of compliment to what i do here.
So, the story goes like this. I went to Urban Outfitters yesterday to kill time between meetings - i love looking around there more than i like the mass sale of everything. And, i love their craft-DIY book section. I found a great book that i looked over a bit called Making Stuff: An Alternative Craft Book. I looked over it some more and decided that it was well worth the purchase. There's a great intro talking about crafts and the recent revolution as well as the connection to feminism (an critique of it) and alternative practices of DIY craft. I fit in there perfectly, i think. There are cool projects like aprons, a paper lantern, a tee shirt bath rug, and a whimsical cake stand. So, i buy it and take it home. At home, hours later, i'm reading it again and i glance at the back. There's a good resource list of stores, on-line sites, cool craft books, etc. and ten 'crafty blogs'. I'm one of them! Of ten! Something else that's cool is that Thimble is mentioned too. Oh, did i mention it was published in the UK and i live in Toronto? Weird but totally cool.

Needless to say, i'm totally happy with this quick buy!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger mishka said...

What a great find, vania! And I cannot believe you got a listing in the book! How exciting - yay you! Ima get me that book. Do you think it is Urban Outfitters exclusively, or do you think Book City might carry it?

I, too, love getting comments but I have slacked on commenting to others. Reading blogs through bloglines usually means I read the entry without actually going to the blog, which kinda stinks. I love the community that forms with the comment exchange.

Also, when I switched to the new blogger, my feed in bloglines and other places stopped updating. The result is much less traffic, and much fewer comments, and the only solution is to comment on everyone else's posts. That way they won't forget about me! I'm still here! YAWP!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

That is so cool, you totally deserve it!

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fantastic!!
You must be 'tickled' over the discovery. I know I would be.

Mind you, I don't have a blog (umm, I'm kinda lazy) but I do enjoy reading other blog posts and I am also one of those readers that doesn't always comment unless I really feel strongly about something and need to offer my "2 cents."

I agree with you though that "lurker" has a negative connotation associated to it, so I'll just refer to myself as a member of the "silent cyber audience" or a "blogger fan," which suits me just fine :)

3:31 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

oh wow, that's really cool that you got a mention! you must have been freaking out when you discovered that! btw: that book is uber-cool...i saw it at pages a few weeks ago and thought it looked especially great. thanks for reminding me about it. i actually forgot the name. i'm going to see if tpl has it in their collection.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is so cool, not just the mention, but that you found it! Awesome! The book sounds really neat, I'm gonna go check it out right now.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh wow!!!! wow wow!!! i was at powell's over the weekend and i had this book in my hands! that is really so very exciting!!!

and i totally get what you're saying re: comments. even your comment saying "hey there" on one of my pictures completely and utterly tickled me!

2:30 PM  
Blogger jen said...

that is so cool! smart author to put your awesome blog as a resource, i'm not surprised the rest of the book is good.

do you have a stat tracker? if not, you'd probably get a kick out of seeing how many people read your blog. they are even easier to add on the updated blogger.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

WOW! You're famous! You've been cited in a published work! And you didn't even know it.

1:01 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Thanks for all the support, everyone! You are such a great network of friends. And, a la Jen's suggestion, i played around with a 'stat finder.' I really do get more people reading my blog than writing comments. I thought only the faithful few even read it! I'm stunned....

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I was thinking too bad you didn't know in advance, but it was pretty cool you just finding it like that. Were you dancing around the house?

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is SO cool!! i have picked up that book and admired it- one of the coolest crafty books out right now i thought- and then this!! that is really neat-
:)

6:05 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

kudos to you indeed!! Wow how exciting!!!!!!!!!!

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home