Photobucket

Thursday, June 21, 2007

My Summer To-Do List

Jen inspired me to also write a summer list of things i want to do. Since today marks the first day of Summer, i wish you all a happy Summer Solstice and please indulge me while i share my checklist with you. Maybe putting it up here will inspire me do to the things on it.

1) Number one is definitely going to a great swimming pool in the city. I have never gone to Sunnyside, which is an old relic institution here and it is #1 on this list to check off. If you've read Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin you'll recognize the reference. That said, with Mondays off, i plan to go to several pools and there is one quite close to home.

2) Speaking of home, i have just started house-hunting, so i hope i will be moving into my very first (owned) home come September. Unfortunately, some of my to-do list will surely include the awful idea of packing and moving and unpacking in the heat of summer, but alas my very own home is just too exciting to worry about such small details!

3) I can't wait to enjoy just sitting on a picnic blanket and reading a good book. There are some lovely small parkettes near my (current) home, so i will plan to take a picnic lunch, a good book, and lay under the trees to read. I may even do this on a beach, with my bikini on. Maybe.

4) I have an old ice cream maker at home and i wanted to experiment more with it - like making soy matcha ice cream, or ginger vanilla ice cream. Of course, making fun fruit popsicles will be a great project too!

5) Since summer brings great fresh produce, i'm going to try out a mini version of the 100-km diet and eat as much local fruits and veggies as possible. With that, i'm going on my annual 3 (-5) day juice fast where i'll make lots of fruit and clear out my toxins. I went to a great workshop held my Domestic Affair last year, so i hope i can take that knowledge with me on my fast.

6) I love biking around my city and there are a few places i hope to go several times. One is La Paloma, a gelato place close to home that serves soy cream specials like hazelnut and double chocolate. Yum. I also will go back to Toronto Islands to celebrate my anniversary, dip my toes in the water, have a picnic there with my honey, and treat myself to a good brunch. Lastly, nothing beats biking to a fun evening on a patio with friends and fancy drinks. I hope to do this weekly.

7) Summer in the city also means great concerts, some of which are free. I love that the National Ballet of Canada usually offers a free dance concert that's outside by the waterfront, so i hope they do it again this year. In recent years, we also could watch movies at the harbourfront but i don't think they'll be on again this year. And, i can't wait to see Final Fantasy and Do Make Say Think on July 1! Happy Canada Day to me!

8) Nothing marks summer like weddings - i have three this summer, two of which are out of the city. Very exciting! One added bonus, besides the wedding festivity itself, is that i may finally fulfill my life dream to learn how to serve. One wedding's in Mexico, and it's in an area known for its surfing!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

sounds like fun!! i want to go to sunnyside pool. i've never been to a really cool historic pool and "the blind assassin" is one of my favorite books.

good luck house hunting!

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunnyside? The huge pool by the lake? You have to go! I read in the paper they were thinking of closing it! I hope that's not the case, but I'm visiting it a least once too...

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at La Paloma last week picking up some of their delicious gelato and I noticed that they are now serving soy gelato. Unfortunately, for the non-dairy customers there are only 2 or 3 flavours available as opposed to the 40 plus flavours made with real, fresh delicious milk. Too bad :P

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please note, that I was being sarcastic in my comment above as I also consume vast amounts of soy and rice milk as a result of my dairy intolerance. Sometimes though I just can't resist the wide assortment of flavours available and have to indulge.

12:11 AM  
Blogger The Alt Martha said...

In Portland we have several home delivery services where you can have a box of fresh organic locally grown fruits and veggies every week...that is how I keep up with all my food groups and try to not be such a junk food vegan. Don't know if they have such a thing where you are though...

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home