Photobucket

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Celebration Crafts

I struggled a bit where to post these, and by this i mean which blog, but since i have so much to share about my big day (aka wedding) last week, i thought i would post here about the crafty things that i incorporated into my celebration.

Like for instance, since i thought fresh flower corsages would be tacky, too wedding-y, and a waste of flowers, i made my mom and my new mom-in-law fabric corsages that can be pins now. I made sure to match their dresses as well as our colour scheme of blue and orange.

Of course, any outfit isn't complete unless i make my own jewellry. So, here is the necklace and earring set i made.

Because it was so hot (and i do prefer that over the rain), i anticipated people might be a bit uncomfortable outside during the program part. So i want to Chinatown and bought 25 hand fans of different patterns and colours. Some were left in a vase and others were placed on each dinner table. I think it was both a nice touch and a great way to cool off. I had mine with me all day!

I also made sure that everyone that was a 'key player' aka 'support staff' aka 'board member' got a personalized gift. So i made my three special ladies each a necklace that was blue and orange, and i knit a bag of recycled plastic bags for my star sister! What a great team we all were! I got the pattern from here but i made the dimensions a bit smaller - what time consuming work to cut all those bags!

We also wanted to have a spin off the guest book idea - because we know we'll never look at it again and we wanted a way for people to get crafty (aka busy) at our party! So, since i love quilting and J's Mennonite background = quilting, we decided to make quilt pieces for our friends to create on. In the coming months, i will make other fabric quilt squares and the idea is to alternate a friend's work with my own quilt pieces. For instance, here's what my sis and her hon made for us:


One more thing i made, and i promise that's it for now, is the fabric flag i made to put around the table chart. I love vintage fabric and just had to use it anyway i could. I had about 40 aprons - both new and vintage, borrowed and my own - that i also used as decorations to hide the ugly folding chairs, so i'm obviously a lover of detail. My friend Laural (thanks again!) lent me some and i think we can start up a business together - i got so many compliments on my decorations and apron collection alone!

Again, thanks to everyone for your kind words and support! If you do want to see more pictures, please check out my island cele blog - new pics will be arriving there over the weekend!

P.S. if you want to read a friend's post on her blog about my day, go to this blog and scroll down to Celebration of Love

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really was beautiful! You did such a good job, I noticed your mom's corsage and thought that must have been your handiwork. And you looked beautiful too, what a great necklace!

12:01 AM  
Blogger krissy said...

wow, what fabulous crafty touches to your special day! i can barely keep my eyes open (it's 2am) but i think i need to take a quick look at your celebration blog... i really want to see the pictures!

2:06 AM  
Blogger mishka said...

So beautiful - I got all teary eyed reading this and your Island Celebration blog. I was also hoping to see a close up of your necklace!! It is so pretty. Are the side pieces bits of fabric lace?

You two are such a beautiful couple. Congratulations on your happiness!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Everything is wonderful -- down to what you said, what you made, who you are. You are both a gift. I am so happy for you!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything looks like it will be really beautiful and thoughtful!

Thanks for posting the knitted plastic-bag bag; I have been wanted to make one of those forever but all the patterns I could find were crochet. I even bought a crochet book to learn, just for that bag... But I would much prefer to knit.

Cheer!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Yay! I love this post. Every detail of that day was so you. The necklace was stunning and all of your other handy work so amazing. You so humble me. I only wish I were half as talented.

10:19 PM  
Blogger jen said...

beautiful and more beautiful. i love the apron idea. your jewelry is gorgeous and looked perfect for your dress.

i have to go check the other blog now!

4:53 PM  
Blogger vania said...

hmmmm...interesting comment - i thought i got rid of all of these! I don't know how to delete comments, can someone remind me?

8:35 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Nice stuff! Sounds like it was a nice day. Great colours!

(to delete the spam you have to be logged in, then click on the little garbage can beside the comment you want to delete)

10:52 AM  
Blogger vania said...

thanks Carla!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home