...and now i'm back!
Well, i had a good week in Vancouver and now know what all the fuss is about. While i do prefer Toronto for reasons i won't get into here, i did love Vancouver for its laid-backness, gorgeous layout, cooler temperature, and amazing inclusion of vegans! And i love all the crafty finds - stores just for craft odds and ends like paper cirlces (Urban Source) and great antique stores. The weather was a bit too cool, wet and grey for my liking for August, but overall i had a great time strolling the neighbourhoods, visiting local shops, trying great food and hanging out with friends. We have friends that live that and it was wonderful to see them, as well as see Vancouver through their eyes. We got a great tour of the city the day we arrived (yea for knowing locals and people with cars!) and i got a fantastic tour of West/North Vancouver on my friend's motorcycle on my last day there. What great hosts they were. Nothing beats that!
Some other highlights:
* Mondo Gelato for their soy gelatos - i had hazelnut and coconut (one scoop of each)
* The Naam - good food and laid-back style - i had a vegan reuban!
* Shopping at local shops like Dream, Lissette, Miss Coquette, Barefoot Contessa, Button Button, and the abundant array of vintage shops - they are everywhere
* hanging out with J in Gastown - yes it's touristy but so cute!
* The Clubhouse for its yummy sushi and crazy decor
* Saying can you make something vegan and the chef surprising me with this amazing concoction:
* the beaches - just to look at and dream on
* Stanley park - we rented a tandam bike and rode through like maniacs and the honeymooning tourists we are!
* walking in neighbourhoods i could see myself live in like the Drive and 4th street area
* strolling around old antique stores like this one, full of stained glass windows
* hanging out with our friends - lots of green space here
* seeing all the social service agencies and support centres
* finding amazing finds like these:
* J found me this vegan cookbook in Seattle, but i got another craft book for my collection
Next time, we will definitely check out Vancouver Island (i hear Tofino's the place to go to learn how to surf). We unfortunately didn't get to Seattle and Portland, where some other friends' live, but i will make it a priority next time. My wee budget can only afford so much. Notice i said 'next time?.....'
(Btw, Michelle says hi to all the other crafty vegans - she's settling in and loving the west coast too! )