Photobucket

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Baby Gift Factory


I went to yet another baby shower last night. Five babies for 2006 means a lot of baby gifts to make. Oh, let me clarify, they are not MY babies but friends' and family members. I have made something unique for each of them - baby bibs, soft cube toy, knit toys, baby booties, baby bibs, and of course the standard Amy Butler Nappy Bag. I handed out my third one last night. I think my friend liked it - a good sign that others did was friends who are fashion designers also were eyeing it and giving me compliments. I think i made instant friends with some new mommies too! I don't know what it is with making your own gifts/crafts. I have always been doing this, but for people outside of my craft and blog world, sometimes i guess i doubt my work. I know i shouldn't, but ever since i heard a stupid poll on CBC on how people hate hand-made things because 'you can't return them and their quality isn't as good as store-bought things,' i always have to really make sure my work is good.

Stupid poll - don't people home-made things take time and love and care and are always custom-made. As of this post, i will no longer doubt my work!

So, displayed here are what my lovely friend got. Luckily for me, she asked for a diaper bag and baby bibs!I also found this lovely vintage fabric for the bag - isn't it just perfect for a baby bag? And, keeping true to use what you have, and my budget, i picked out fun fabrics for the bibs.

Whew, i'm tired! I think i can take a break soon from baby gifts - but i know i will need to start thinking about infant and toddler gifts soon!

10 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

Pretty colours!

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been checking out your craft-wares from time to time over the past few months and I must say that the quality of your work has improved considerably...you know what they say..."practice makes perfect!"

1:10 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

you must be having so much fun making these things. I have 1 friend who is pregnant and I keep trying to think of stuff to make for her. She wants an edgy gothy baby, so maybe I should break out the black and make little gothy bibs :D

2:09 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

those bibs are absolutely adorable! i love the vintage fabrics and rickrack.

4:12 PM  
Blogger jen said...

wow! you did such a good job on that trim. anyone who wouldn't love the gifts you make ain't got no taste!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Hand made gifts are the best ones.

I only wish I had the creativeity and crafty talent that you do ... I would love to make gifts for people but I wouldn't know where to begin.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vania, these gifts are beautiful. You put so much time and care into them, do not doubt your talents. There is no way they will need to return your gifts because they are not ordinary and there is no way they would get two!! Keep up the great work, your friends and their wee ones are lucky to have you.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Katie Johnson said...

Oooh I love the baby stuff, especially the booties! They have some substance to them and yet they're still delicate and baby-like. Makes me wish I was a baby. Not that I had a baby around still. Because I'm not crazy.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh those are super nice- I am glad to read this because I have baby showers to go to and they have registerd at toys r us but i was thinking of making my gift- I feel the same! afraid they wont get it or think it is cheap because they are outside this crafty world too. hmm.
(btw body blitz was so great! ahhh)
:)

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to make burp cloths and baby blankets for gifts. These are cute! Great job! :)

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home