Photobucket

Friday, September 15, 2006

Fun Finds Can Turn into Fun Projects


I went to the annual Cabbagetown Arts and Crafts Fair last weekend. I love this event - both for all the great booths and DIY works, as well as this neighbourhood. It's a lovely place with a clear history in Toronto. It's called Cabbagetown because Irish immigrants were forced to live there after surviving the Potato Famine. Pigs, improntu gardens, and wagons all shared the roads during this time. And of course cabbages were part of the staple diet. Close-by is Regent Park, a neighbourhood with various low-income housing programs. It is going through a much publicized, controversial, and political face-lift. One thing that is popping up everywhere is the gentrification of neighbourhoods and the contrast between Cabbagetown and Regent Park is an especially good example. Nonetheless, there is a great sense of community here. A weekly farmer's market is based in a great farm and park called Riverdale. There are also beautiful historic homes, great restaurants, pubs, local coffee shops, and a great health food store. One other great thing about the arts and crafts fair is the neighbourhood-wide yard sale. This is where it's at!

Anyway, i digress. While at the fair i came across a great booth that sold purses and purses made from old hardcover books. I rememberd that i had a similar project in The Crafsters Guide to Nifty, Thrifty, and Kitschy Crafts book. And then i walked by a random yard sale, i saw that it was full of old books. I digged around and picked 6 books - mainly children's textbooks from the 60s. The inside pages were as sweet and colourful as the cover. But, it's the cover i want. Now i can try and make the clutches from the book. Yea! And this books were just a $1 so i can definitely experiment. I will share with you my work soon. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

11 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

Bargain books are great to find! :)
Have a great weekend!

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your purses! What a cool project. I'm going to see if I can get that book at the library.

Jennifer C.
http://muddlingtowardsfrugality.blogspot.com/

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw those "purses" at the Cabbagetown Arts & Craft Fair and thought they were genius!

I did not purchase one though because:

a) I figure I can make one myself if I truly wanted to own one;

b) Their diminutive size isn't very functional for my stash of everyday items that I like to tote around with me;

c)I just wasn't up to spending between $40 to $60 on something I may never find a practical use for.

4:26 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

I had that weekend marked in my calendar for months, but with family stuff and the veg food fair, I ended up missing it. Sometimes there is just TOO MUCH going on in our awesome city. :) Sounds like you had a wonderful time at the fair - I can't wait to see what you do with the books!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I love those illustrations!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Miss RM said...

Oooh, yes - please post this project! I'd love to try that too.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Can't wait to see the purses finished. You are so worthy of your name "crafty vegan". I looked at them and thought "so great but overpriced." You looked at them and thought "so great, I can make that." You are brilliant.

And Cabbagetown ... well you know how I feel about that hood :)

6:08 PM  
Blogger jen said...

cool, i can't wait to see what you make. the illustrations inside the book would be good for making greeting cards.

10:40 AM  
Blogger busy hands said...

I'd also love to see this project, the art to those books is simply awesome!

12:33 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

so sad...i missed all the fun stuff happening in the city that weekend. :( no cabbagetown or veg food fair for me, even though i had been looking forward to that weekend for ages! glad you had fun though. those childrens' books are awesome!!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Random question. Where did you get the WIP % Graph on your side bar? I SO WANT ONE!.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home