Photobucket

Thursday, October 05, 2006

My New Book Bag


I made my first recycled book purse yesterday. It was a prototype and i already know how to better the next ones i make. Overall, i'm happy with it and think it's pretty cute. As mentioned in that previous post, i followed a pattern from the Crafster Guide to Nifty, Thrifty, & Kitschy Craft book, and it was pretty straight-forward. More hot glue gunning than sewing so i'm not sure how durable it will be. The directions say to find books that are at least 2 inches wide. I can see why now. It will definitely act as a clutch with handles - only my keys, lipgloss, my ID, and a tissue will fit in it!

For the other bags, i will try to sew a pouch first, with a zipper and then glue that into the books. That way, i will have a way to securely close it as well as add some space to it.

I also finally finished my hankie quilt. The pictures aren't doing it justice but i'm so happy with it. The colours are lovely and i made a cute petal pattern to quilt it all together. It's been 1 1/2 years in the making, and i've collected about 40 hankies for it. In the end, i only used 30 for the quilt. Some i'll keep for myself and other projects. And that way i still have an excuse to still be a hankie collector!

Now all i have to do is get around to those damn maxi pads!

8 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

Hankie quilt!!!! Too beautiful for words. I like the book bag, too. I had the Craftster book out of the library, fun stuff in there.

10:04 AM  
Blogger krissy said...

i'm in love with your quilt! it's really beautiful, vania. you must be so pleased with it.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love your purse - what a great idea! I've seen purses made from what looks like placemats, but not purses.

Your hankie quilt is beautiful as well. What a great way to show off your collection.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Look how beautiful! Very nice!!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Your book bag is even nicer than the ones at the Cabbagetown festival! And I love the hankie quilt - what a lovely idea :)

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vania this is absolutely beautiful, I am going to heavy up my hankie collection and do the same thing!

11:43 PM  
Blogger musta lammas said...

Found this post through sew? i knit! - your book bag is lovely! And such a great idea. In my building there`s a second hand bookshop and sometimes they just throw books that don`t sell in the trash. I`ve always wanted to save them, now I now what I can do with them! Thanks for the tip.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love hankies!!!! The quilt was a great idea. I imagine you could use all white and really have a victorian look to the quilt. Good job.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home