Photobucket

Friday, February 02, 2007

I Love Seitan!

I have been vegan for 11 years and i remember when i first became vegan all the dishes i would 'create' only ended up thrown them away because they tasted so damn awful. Balls made out of alfalfa sprouts anyone? No one else i knew was a vegan but becoming one in a university town had its advantages. There is a wonderful store in Guelph that helped me out more than you could imagine. One of the best parts was discovering this book - Vegan Vittles. I got to try out chocolate pie and i even remember making tofu 'wings.' Not sure why, cuz i hated the idea of eating wings at all, but at least i loved making food, it worked, and it tasted good.Years passed and my love for cooking is still here, and i think i've gotten much better at cooking vegan dishes. And i think my guests have received better food as well! There are still some things i haven't made but i can now cross seitan off that list. I had to make it for a recent vegancookalong dish and had some left over. So, i went to my cookbooks and sat down and went through each one with a seitan dish. Low and behold, one of the zines i received from my Vegan Pal, Barefoot and in the Kitchen of My Own Accord (vol 1) had the best recipe - seitan and broccoli. It was simple dish with Braggs, ginger, and veggie broth, but it was so good. We had it over rice.

Maybe i'm ready to make veggie ham dishes now?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger alma vogler said...

Wow, i was just eating seitan and thinking about my commitment to become vegetarian (i haven't eaten meat for 5 years now, but i can't stop eating fish, specially codfish, which i love). I think 2007 is the year...

4:06 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

That looks so good... broccoli ... seitan .... gooey stuff!

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks DELISH-
thanks for the nice comment you left on my blog!
:)
that made me happy!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never had seitan. I hear nothing but good things though... maybe I should try it! This may be a stupid non-vegan question, but what's braggs?

6:19 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Steph - not stupid at all - Braggs is a soy sauce alternative. A healthier one because of the lack of fermentation and salt additives.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home