Photobucket

Monday, February 19, 2007

Six Things About Me

Steph tagged me to do a meme. While i'm not usually such a fan of them, i did want to share this one with you: the point is to share 6 'weird' things about myself. J thinks the idea is so funny because who would want to out their weirdness, but i think this is one way to show just how individual and unique we all are. Plus, i struggle with the word 'weird' - it's very othering and creates difference that can be based on judgement.

So, here are 6 things, out of many i'm sure, that make me unique. In no real order, just the order that they fell in my head - i had some difficulty of even thinking of one thing at first....

1) I cry during all dance performances, be it a live ballet, watching So You Think You Can Dance, or anything else - i grew up dancing and feel really connected to it still.
2) I live for miso gravy and tempeh in any way, not necessarily together. If i could, i would have each thing at least once a day.
3) I organize my clothes in my closet by colour and season - when i buy a home, it will have to have a walk-in closet for me because i'm running out of room.
4) I am not afraid of many things - be it the dark, spiders, snakes, roller coasters but i am afraid of skiing (nasty accident growing up)
5) I am really into order - i will tidy the apartment each night before going to bed. Like, i have to have a clear dining room and kitchen table, no coffee cups can be left on the coffee table overnight, and i hate clutter. Getting me to actually clean is another story. Cat fur balls, dust, and dirty stove tops can fester for days, ahem, weeks.
6) I love all things from the 1950s - aprons, hats, dresses, shoes, you name it - and i collect them all. I think i lived in other times and the 1950s is the most recent one. Being a strong feminist, i think i am currently re-claiming the 1950s housewife/submissive woman stereotype and making it my own. Being a vegan, i can poke fun at cute kitchen things and make them practical in a way that doesn't include meat.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are nice things-- and unique. I'm glad that you did the meme on your own terms! Myself, I reclaimed the term "weird" as a thing that sets me apart. To me and my friends, weird is where its at! I consider you someone apart from the crowd-- so I tagged you. And I'm glad I did!

I'm afraid of skiing too, could be becasue I'm from the Southern US... And I love things from the 60s! There are so many things that I could add that make me unique too.

And I'm glad your computer's back and in good health.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, long comment.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting info Vania! Thanks for sharing :)

I have noticed in several women's magazines that there is a 1950s revival happening in both fashion and lifestyle.

Frilly aprons, 1950s secretary blouses, baking & cooking and being a 'domestic goddess' have suddenly become hip.

Hmmm, I wonder if this trend will last?

2:24 AM  
Blogger jen said...

i guess i must be weird, but i don't think most of those things are very weird.

by the way, could you please update the link you have to my blog? it's moved to www.lifeoffbalance.com. thanks! (i would have emailed you but i don't have an email address for you.)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I got tagged with this too and just need one more thing.

I'm not afraid of bugs or much either, but some movies terrify me!

Nice list. Thank you for sharing!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Little Shot said...

I like your list. I am afraid of skiing too ... amoung the many other things I can say "me too" to on your list :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

That was me not Little Shot. I just realized I have been commenting as him all day because I forgot to log out. BUt I bet he'd be afraid of skiing too ...

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little sis here... and yup, i cry at every show i watch, and seeing as though i still dance, you can image how silly i must be crying all the time! odd how we also matched so many answers when we played scategories?!?

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home