Photobucket

Monday, March 05, 2007

Can't Wait till Spring...

...And not just because it's expected to be -35 tonight, nor because we got yet more snow today, well maybe for those reasons, but also so that i can wear my new cape - it's done!
I have just a bit more 'editing' to do for it, but i'll wait until i actually need to wear it and see how it goes. In preparation for this project, I bought this lovely vintage pattern that went perfectly with my barkcloth, i used some left over satin for the lining, and i feel that this is one decadent cape. I didn't buy enough fabric, and was just a smidge off, so instead of trying to play with the belt, i just reused a belt from a coat i no longer wear. I think it goes well enough.

The other decision to make is to do with the buttons. Instead of making actual button holes, i used snap-ons. I still need to perfect my hole-making technique, so i thought this was a safe bet. I bought these lovely floral pink buttons and might use them for the cape, just for aesthetics. This will be decided once i start wearing it. But for now, here it is!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

it's fabulous!! i can't wait to see it on you.

i love your new header too.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fantastic!

Congratulations for completing such a time-consuming and challenging project.

If I may, I would like to offer my unsolicited advice on a few minor details with regard to the cape.

If you could find (or make) a belt that is in the same colour as the darkest pink on the flowers, it would make a world of difference in offsetting the floral print.

Right now, the pale pink belt - as you already mentioned - does not work with the cape.

And secondly, you mentioned in your post that you have some floral buttons to add to the cape.

My dearest Vania, please refrain from adding more prints on top of prints. A simple set of white round buttons would work just nicely and will not compete with the already colourful and flowery print.

Keep it simple...less is more...blah, blah. You get my point.

I hope you don't mind my forwardness in suggesting some alternatives.

Keep up the great work!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I love your cape! You have a great eye for fabric and colours, I love that about your blog!

In seasonal news: it's definitely winter out there, but the sunlight hours are getting longer!

9:33 PM  
Blogger mishka said...

vania, my dearest, you have such a wonderful, bold and unabashed style. You wear it well, and you wear it proudly. I love that about you.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home